Drought Affects Construction in Kwa-Zulu Natal
Tuesday, 26 April 2016
Posted by: SAFCEC Communications
Recently the Premier of KZN announced that the Drought was pronounced to be a disaster and has been gazetted as such. Following from this announcement, on 18th April 2016, the Department of Public Works hosted a Workshop on this issue and SAFCEC, along with other stakeholders, was invited to attend. The workshop was initially chaired by Mr Thulani Mdadane, General Manager: Operations & Professional Services, KZN Department of Public Works, followed by Mr Brendan Bournes-Harper,Chief Quantity Surveyor, KZN Department Public Works, Office of the Head of Department. The Department of Water and Sanitation provided a presentation on the status of the drought. The presentation included:-
- a situational analysis on the current water reservoirs
- the mitigation measures applied
- additional interventions to be applied
COGTA provided a presentation on the drought and the consequent coordinated Provincial response. The presentation confirmed that the drought had been declared a disaster and that same was gazetted accordingly. The declaration provided an administrative mandate to respond accordingly. A drought response plan was engaged.
In a nutshell, the rainfall has been the lowest recorded since 1921. Dam levels are critical and as such the Premier has said that no further potable water should be used for constructionBrian Perry of the Concrete Institute spelt out the requirements of using potable water for Concrete construction but said that subject to testing, river water and recycled water may be used.
Civil and Building Contractors were requested to sensitize members and propose a few initiatives which could reduce water consumption in Construction. MBA and SAFCEC were asked to reconvene with CIDB at the end of May. CIDB would take any proposals which could assist and publish a Best Practice note to CIDB Registered Contractors.
We will keep members posted.